It has been WAY to long. But fear not, I am back, and just so you don’t think I’ve been slacking off on my creative endeavors here are some things to feast your eyes upon that I’ve done during my not-so-little hiatus.

Advertisements

Practice using my pochade box. Alla Prima style based off of an old photo from my time in guatemala. It is an old run-down pier in the port city of Puerto San Jose.

 

Oil on Canvas Paper

 

So, here is a sketch of my current art history teacher (drawn out of boredom) and some notes I took between doodles.

(Oil on Aluminum & Wood)

This is the latest painting up to date, just completed it a little over a week ago. I was thinking upon the lines of spirituality. I wanted to paint something that didn’t have to do with religion or personal beliefs but something that people could relate to.

 I started thinking about the idea of a sanctuary. Everybody has a place where they feel safe and secure. A place where they go to escape from the world. Most people its their home or more specifically their bedroom. Growing up my bedroom was a sanctuary, I image it was that way for most people. So I decided to paint a sanctuary. I had my wife pose for some photos when the sun was coming through the window so that I could capture the natural light.

I also wanted to work with a non-traditional surface space for this painting, and I drink ALOT of soda, so I saved some soda cans and when I had bag full I cut the tops and bottoms off, and flattened them out. I then scratched them up with a brillo pad and used a hot glue gun to paste them to a wooden board.

I liked the idea of aluminum as a surface related to spirituality because of the inherent reflection that aluminum has. I decided to use wood as a background in order to signify a persons raw substance and also use it as a natural frame. I didn’t prime it or prepare it in any way.

Painting on aluminum was a new experience. It was very difficult the first couple of layers, the paint kept coming off the aluminum if my brushstrokes where to hard. I had to finally stop and let the paint dry for about a week. I switched to

somesofter brushes which I don’t usually use and that with the dryer paint seemed to help a lot. Throughout the process some of the paint went over the edges of  the aluminum onto the wood and I decided that I liked the way it looked, very raw and unfinished compared to the actual image so I decided to not worry about trying to stay within the aluminum borders.

I’m happy with the way the final layers turned out, I think it has a very surrealistic or dreamy look to it, and considering the concept I think that it is appropriate.


This painting was a critique on modern societies obsession with all things apocalyptical and zombies. I used my own wife as a model to work from. We had a picture from Halloween that I used. It’s only the second face I’ve ever painted, so considering that, I don’t think it turned out to bad.

This first image is the finished painting

These next images are the first layer.

Here is a close-up of the nose and mouth which I am particularly proud of,

Its been a couple of months since my last post. It hasn’t been because of lack of projects. The new semester at UNLV started in january. Apart from my graphic design classes, I’m also taking another painting class, a life drawing class (which I’m really excited about) and an art history class focusing on art since 1945. I admit I’m not a huge fan of most contemporary art styles but I do enjoy learning why artists do the things they do.

Anyway, here are the rest of the paintings that I worked on last semester. The first is a still-life from objects around our house. The second in a master copy of a self-portrait of Eugene Delacroix. The third is another still-life inspired by the artist Frank Krifka and the Baroque tradition of heavy darks and lights.

Oil on Canvas Paper

Here is my first larger oil painting, after the three studies I was working on. This is the painting the studies were for. I’m happy with how it came out, especially the reflection of the orange in the bottom of the vase. Below is a progression of the painting throughout the layers.The biggest change from the first couple layers and the last was by far the vase with the fruit. Other than that I softened the shadows in the white cloth and darkened some of the shadows in the red.

In preparing for a larger painting, here is an oil study of a hanging cloth. I chose to focus on the knot. Below is the finished study. I also included a picture showing the progress of the study throughout the three layers. I had a hard time with the background (green) drape that was hanging behind the knot. It seemed like i couldn’t find the correct green or get the folds and small nuances of the cloth right, but overall I’m happy with the way it turned out.

image

This is a quick sketch (done in the near darkness of the classroom) of my current art history professor (she reminds me of Cruella de Vil’s not evil twin).

Done with mechanical pencil in sketchbook.

 Here is the finished study of the reflexive objects. It was done in three layers, the first was a monochromatic layer in a neutral color focusing on the opaque areas of the still-life. The second I added color and defined the main objects a bit more. This third layer involved more a little more color, finishing defining the objects, cooling down the study and adding transparent colors.

Here is a side by side of the first and second layers. You can see the huge difference between the two.

ANNOUNCEMENT!

I’d like to announce that I have opened up a twitter feed for this blog! To check out the progress of future painting and their various layers as well as the sketches and drawing that don’t make it onto this blog follow me  @ibrandonwaite

%d bloggers like this: